• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Going to Jamaica....

LC-Smoker

Have you seen my stapler?
I am going to Ocho Rios Jamaica in June for my Honeymoon. I was wondering if anyone had been there and could offer advise on cigar shops? are there any Casa de Habanos or any official Habanos SA dealers in Ocho Rios?

Thanks,

Patrick

be as careful as you are here there are a lot of fakes in the carib as in the states

vitasea said:
be as careful as you are here there are a lot of fakes in the carib as in the states
[snapback]179221[/snapback]​

Does CC correct grammar as well????

Be very weary of buying cubans in Jamacia, especially in Ocho Rios. I got took last summer on a box of Cohibas there. :angry:

Take your own cigars with you and reband them before you go. There is no benifit to buying cigars here short of paying more than you need to and standing a 99% chance of buying fakes.

Doesn't Habanos SA have a website that lists all of their retailers? I thought I had seen it somewhere here before, perhaps over in the Cancun thread. I guess I'll go check!

I just got back from Runaway Bay in February. I can tell you a good place, but thier sticks are pricey, they'll switch the bands for you right in the store.

And be weary, theres a shop right at the airport as you depart for home...not sure on the authenticity of it.

Also be weary of whom and wear you buy your Blue Mountain Coffee from...I got hosed.

Check out Dunn River Falls, Ocho Rios is pretty close, amazing place. Try to checkout the luminous lagoon as well!

If you like wood carvings, take a trip to the Bamboo Village, its right in runaway bay, about 20-30 minutes from Ochos. Every shot has similar items, all very friendly people. Look for a man named Lucky, he won't know who i am, but tell him friends from Minnesota stopped by, if he looks puzzled, mention the ones whom gave him the bottle of dark rum one night. Im sure you can talk him into a good deal.

But non of that refers to the origin of your original post...sorry. I just love Jamaica.

ps-get the walkerswood jerk...best on the market.

Just got back from the cruise and one of our stops was Ocho Rios. Beautiful place. Do yourself a favor and bring your own cigars, there INMHO were no bargains in the two shops I visited ......... funny I didn't know Esplendidos came in a glass top box :whistling: and they are so nice looking.

Do Dunn River Falls early and on a day when there are no cruise ships in port. The day we were there you could literally walk up the falls in a conga line 1.2.3 hop. Never any problems mon only situations..........

I love Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee next to Mr. Jerry's ... of course.

Enjoy!

Absolutely no legitimate Havana cigars on the island, unless you bring your own. This goes double for Ochos Rios. Buy a nice watch instead.

I just got back from Runaway Bay myself and can attest that Jamaica is still beautiful. :)

Oh and there is a banana shortage right now, so don't get your mind set on real banana daquiris. :angry:

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I guess I will take all my smokes with me. I hadn't planned on bringing any smokes back, but i wanted to make sure I had plenty for when i was there.

If you want Jamaican cigars, no problem. Havanas are another issue.

I will second what Benjiev said about watches. There's a store in Ocho called Casa De Oro, or something like that, and the guy there who sold my wife her watch really knew his stuff. They stock most of the nicer watches such as Cartier and Ebel, as well as some of the nice-but-everyone-has-one-now watches like Tags. If you're in the market for a really really nice watch, there's a shop around the corner that sells Patek Phillipe. The one I tried on was a base model of their Complications collection, and sold for around $18,000.00, which seemed like a deal, since while he was perusing his price list, I saw a couple others that listed over $100k! :0

My fav is the Roadster from Cartier. Check it out if you get a chance, very nice looking. I'm thinking his price on that watch was around $1000 less than retail here in the US.

Almost all of the watches available down there can be found cheaper online. But, you get to actually try it on and see how it works right in front of you. The guys at Casa de Oro do know their stuff. There is also a very nice watch store in the airport as you are leaving. The prices are not quite as flexible there though. I tried on about every Breitling they had at Casa de Oro... just couldn't get them to my price. Granted, I was trying to steal them from them at my requested price. LMAO! The one wathc I found that I really liked and was still somewhat affordable, was a green dial Rolex Submariner in titanium, I think. Beautiful watch!!

I just want to add a note, to anyone who is thinking about getting a nice watch online.

One of the things that stands out in the fine print on most of the websites is that "The watch may or may not have the serial numbers...". And that the watch is not under warranty from the manufacturer.

Which, in my book, spells trouble, and I would much rather pay a few hundred bucks more to know that it is authentic, under warranty, and not stolen.

But this is not to say that all online vendors are crooks. Just be very careful when deciding how to purchase an expensive item such as a watch. And the same scrutiny and research should be done when buying the watch in person.

Been to JA three times. Even proposed to my wife there about 30 years ago. That was when Negril was a really cool place to vacation. On our last trip there we got held up on the road from Negril to Mobay. Haven't been back since. There's just something about four guys with shotguns that takes all the fun out of your vacation..........forget about cigars, try the local tobacco :D :D

JET

Just wanted to top this....any advise from cigars to watches is welcome!