• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fixing A Busted Cab

Mark Twain

Call me Ishmael.
The really great thing about cabs is the fact that the finger joints can almost always be repaired if the cab becomes damaged in shipping.

opus327.jpg
opus328.jpg

Always make sure that the cigars are undamaged when they arrive. In this case, only two had minor foot damage.

opus330.jpg
opus331.jpg

There are several issues to consider when you go about fixing the damage. How much time and effort do I put in the job? This depends upon the damage to the box, your ability to repair it vs the time it takes to procure a new one. Some people would chuck this cab and get a new one. For those that try and save it the next thing to consider is what sort of glue to use to repair it. White glue or regular household glue might work fine. I chose to use hot glue. This helps seal the cab if you want to keep airflow to a minimum and it is also odorless. Always dry fit the pieces and see if clamps are necessary. The final product should allow the box to open freely and seal correctly. In this case, there is a small gap which can affect long-term ageing, but since I intend to smoke these I find it acceptable. As for the amount of time it took to fix this, lets just say it took me longer to write this. :D

opus332.jpg
opus333.jpg

opus329.jpg

Please send the damaged cigars to me. I have a sure fire procedure too resolve shipping accidents

And here I was going to offer you sending it to me to fix for you if you wanted, didn't know you were a handy man too! Good write up, I've fixed several boxes too, and like you said, finger joints really make those repairs easy.

Marc,

It doesn't look like damage as the result of physical impact or insult. It looks much like "un-fingering" that I've seen due to humidity excursions. Primarily, from the normal moist conditions around 65% down to %35-40 for some period of time. If I were to fix something like this, it would be by using high grade waterproof carpenter's glue. But hot melt should be fine too.

Wilkey

Hmmm a vendor sending out damaged boxes? What kind of customer service is that? :whistling:

Hmmm a vendor sending out damaged boxes? What kind of customer service is that? :whistling:

No...That looks exactly the result of the humidity loss. I've seen enough of my boxes that is outside the humidor that will wrap as the wood dries. This IMHO looks to be the same result as Wilkey said. :thumbs:

No...That looks exactly the result of the humidity loss. I've seen enough of my boxes that is outside the humidor that will wrap as the wood dries. This IMHO looks to be the same result as Wilkey said. :thumbs:

x3

A Hong Kong based site just had a sale on damaged items, either damaged box or boxes with e few damaged sticks.
That bonanza was cleared in a few hours, several swedish friends landed several boxes.
Its good to be a few hours before USA, this was all gone while most of you where asleep :D

A Hong Kong based site just had a sale on damaged items, either damaged box or boxes with e few damaged sticks.
That bonanza was cleared in a few hours, several swedish friends landed several boxes.
Its good to be a few hours before USA, this was all gone while most of you where asleep :D

Not all of us nissed that sale...in fact I received a cab of Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 2 and what a deal it was!

eyetek