• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

fake or not fake, that is the question

Michal

Turquoise Hexagon Sun
Ok, so I get a Siglo IV from a guy who bought it from well known seller. I also trust this seller and usually buy from him.
But it just looks so... so not Cohiba. Its my first one so I might be wrong, but I also saw some of Siglos in a shop and they were a bit different.

The head is ok, the foot is ok, but the main problem is the wrapper. Its not so smooth as I think it should be.
Is it possible that 70% Rh could change it so much in a few weeks? because I know that guy from which I get it has 70% or even 72% Rh

Any ideas?

siglo4ys4.jpg

Hard to tell much from a picture, all I can say is that cigar looks like it went through a rough ride with its split foot and fugly wrapper. You said you buy from this guy regularly, so it all comes down to a matter of trust. Take the stick back to the shop and voice your concerns to him directly and see what he has to say. I'd ask for another cigar due to the split in the foot if I could.

Its not at all like that. I get it from a guy who purchased it from well known seller. Its all over internet, so I have about 400 kilometers to him and there is no possibility to go there with the smoke. ;)

Yes, the foot is a little broken, all because of not good packaging :/
But more worrying thing for me is this wrapper.

Hi Michal......Unfourtunatly I think you have a dud there........Now keep in mind I dont have your cigar in hand........but this is what I see........First The white boxes are larger in size than the opposing black spaces..They should be equal........Second letter spacing is excessive in the gold Cohiba lettering between the letter o and h...... also btween the gold border and the letter c.........Cant see the cap very well.....does it have a tripple cap.......

Bob

Ok, so I get a Siglo IV from a guy who bought it from well known seller. I also trust this seller and usually buy from him.
But it just looks so... so not Cohiba. Its my first one so I might be wrong, but I also saw some of Siglos in a shop and they were a bit different.

Sorry, I missed that they were shipped to you. I thought you had got them in a shop from the line above, my mistake.

Hi Michal......Unfourtunatly I think you have a dud there........Now keep in mind I dont have your cigar in hand........but this is what I see........First The white boxes are larger in size than the opposing black spaces..They should be equal........Second letter spacing is excessive in the gold Cohiba lettering between the letter o and h...... also btween the gold border and the letter c.........Cant see the cap very well.....does it have a tripple cap.......

Bob

Ok, I believe You about those white boxes, but spaces between letters? hmm... suspicious...

And about the cap, its tripple and very smooth.

Bob

Ok, I believe You about those white boxes, but spaces between letters? hmm... suspicious...

And about the cap, its tripple and very smooth.

The fact that it does have a triple cap doesnt sway my opinon..... it would only further the fact that their counterfeit had there not been one......On a quick note on Cohiba wrapper quality.......I have seen the most discraceful looking wrappers at times.......Habanos should be ashamed at what gets by.......

Bob

Bob
Bob,

I believe that some and perhaps all of that effect is due to digital "blooming" of the white squares in the first photo. The clue is that the image is slightly out of focus. Look at the second photo. That one is in focus and the white squares look smaller relative to the first photo.

I have been able to induce that effect by purposely defocusing an image of Cohiba cardboard packaging.

Wilkey

Bob
Bob,

I believe that some and perhaps all of that effect is due to digital "blooming" of the white squares in the first photo. The clue is that the image is slightly out of focus. Look at the second photo. That one is in focus and the white squares look smaller relative to the first photo.

I have been able to induce that effect by purposely defocusing an image of Cohiba cardboard packaging.

Wilkey

Hi Wilkey

I did in fact see the difference in the two pics when I gave my opinion.........I did see what you were refering to as blooming.........In the bottom pic the white spaces are clearly larger......I felt that the spacing in cohiba lettering was off as well...........As mentioned this is without the cigar in hand........Michel also said he saw that the white blocks were as I said.......Im assuming he is looking at the cigar itself and not the picture..........

Bob

Guys, I'll check these squares again when I'll be at home today, and let You know if they're the same or different.

God! Its great with cigars. :D

I've looked into my humi to check those squares, and spent 15 minutes with sniffing, touching and watching all other sticks but not the Siglo :p
Then I've sat, and saw this topic :p

Ok, so the squares are the same sizes.
You cant see it because of my camera, I just dont have any macro function.

God! Its great with cigars. :D

I've looked into my humi to check those squares, and spent 15 minutes with sniffing, touching and watching all other sticks but not the Siglo :p
Then I've sat, and saw this topic :p

Ok, so the squares are the same sizes.
You cant see it because of my camera, I just dont have any macro function.
Michal,
Do you have a scanner? If so, you could peel off the band and scan it.
Wilkey

Digital blooming! Learn somethin' new every day!

If you smoke it two things will follow. You'll know and it will be moot. ;)

Just funnin. I'm trying to learn the difference, too.

That's great, Michal. I look forward to seeing the scans. I think if you show just a portion of the squares that should be sufficient.

Wilkey

That's great, Michal. I look forward to seeing the scans. I think if you show just a portion of the squares that should be sufficient.

Wilkey
So, Wilkey? What do You think about them?

Nice catch on the camera angle Wilkey!

Brian

Michal,

I think there is a better than 50-50 chance that these might be counterfeits. I'm basing this primarily on the appearance of the gold box around the word "Cohiba." It appears thinner than it should. Otherwise, the lettering and white squares are so close to authentic as to be indistinguishable. It's a really good fake band if it is fake.

Wilkey