• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

El Triunfador Lancero

Doc Wylie

Curmudgeon
They hype says this is a small batch offering from Pete Johnson to be made "in small quantities here and there". Currently only available in a pig-tail ancero, this has been a somewhat HTF stick. It appears that vendors are starting to get a better supply, but when I wanted to try them I couldn't find them anywhere. However, I was able to obtain a few from StinkiMonki, who has been my source of a number of cigars that have become my favorites, such as the Illusione line and several of the Padilla's.

The pre-draw was easy and inspection of the foot showed a tight (but not too tight) construction. The aroma of the unlit cigar was wheat-like and once lit the smoke was rich but not overpowering.

I usually prefer a larger gauge cigar, so I was a bit apprehensive about the lancero size thinking it might burn too hot for my taste. I have to say the El Triunfador burned relatively cool from start to finish and maintained a nice slow and even burn. The light gray ash dropped off about every 3/4 inch or so. There was a bit of a bergomet-like taste (the slightly perfumey spice that's in Earl Grey tea), but the flavor suited me just fine and had nary a hint of bitterness or harshness. It stayed constant throughout, which was OK..although I prefer the subtle flavor transitions of cigars such as the Illusione line and was hoping the El Triunfador might offer a similar journey. No matter. It was still a pleasant smoke that I took down to the nub in about an hour's time.

Based on my first experience with the lancero, I'm hoping Pete will expand the line into other sizes. It was definitely a quality smoke and one that I might even be inclined to buy by the box to put into my regular rotation.

Thank you for the review. I just picked up a 5 pack and I am just waiting for them to rest a little.

Definitely on my list. Thanks for the review.

Based on my first experience with the lancero, I'm hoping Pete will expand the line into other sizes.

Actually he has. In a few interviews I have seen with him, he states that the El Triunfador is simply a Cabaiguan maduro lancero. He acquired the El Triunfador label, and in order to protect the copyright he had to produce something with that name on them. I think he actually mentions that in the interview in this video: Linky

I was very impressed and thought it was an exquisite cigar. Mikey likey.

Nice review, Doc. I have a box that I'm going to have to get to this week. :thumbs:

Based on my first experience with the lancero, I'm hoping Pete will expand the line into other sizes.

Actually he has. In a few interviews I have seen with him, he states that the El Triunfador is simply a Cabaiguan maduro lancero. He acquired the El Triunfador label, and in order to protect the copyright he had to produce something with that name on them. I think he actually mentions that in the interview in this video: Linky

I didn't know that having not seen the interview. Thanks for sharing.

good review. I had the stick a few weeks ago and enjoyed it.

I had one the other day and agreed with your thoughts. I do like the Oliva V lancero better but this was also a fine smoke.
Thanks for sharing.

Cool info, I have a few but have yet time to try one. I look forward to the chance!!