• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dry ISOM

Shiba

CP's Official Mortgage Broker
I recently received a package from a well known vendor that most of us around here use. When I opened everything up, I noticed that the contents were extremely dry despite the humipack that was in there.

Tonight I went to smoke a VSG that was in the same humidor where this package was placed and noticed that my VSG's that had been in there a while was fairly dry as well. This is all in a desktop humidor that holds about 100-125 and I am using a large tube of beads from Viper.

The beads were bone white and I just revived them with distilled water a week or so ago. Since everything had been stable at 65% I pulled out the hygrometer to test my other humidor and keep an eye on it for a while thus the reason I did not notice any changes.

Apparently my new arrival was so dry, that is sucked everything out of my humidor to try and rehydrate themselves. Grated, this was partially stupidity on my behalf but the reason for this post it to warn others to keep an eye on things for a while until everything equalizes.

I have spoken with many others here on the boards and they have all been receiving extremely dry packages as well. I have since revived the tube of beads and added an additional tube as well. Hopefully this will bring things back around.

Hope this helps some of you out there. :)

Yep. I went into slight shock also when the Rh dropped in my "steady as a rock" humidor. I've been watching it steadily decline over the past 5 days. I'm moving everything into tupperware tomorrow. I'm going to do several w/ 15-20 sticks per tupperware.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to redo the humidor for a day or 2 too.

Oh well...

Rough!

When I get dry sticks, I add extra water or an extra PG/water cup just until it stabilizes. The first day is intense in terms of the suck-up but then it slows down.

Wilkey

I plugged in the Cigar Oasis... usually only used when I have the cooler door open for extended periods of time.

Some of the issue could be the new boxes as well- would they not dry out before the cigars themselves since they are the 'outer skin' of the cigars? At least I hope so...

If it's a SLB, SBN or Cab, yes, I imagine the wood can be quite a wick. I am not sure how dry a dressed box would get as it's paper wrapped. Dry is bad.

Wilkey

I have never seen a box that was shipped from over seas being too dry. I also get cigars from the guy who puts the humi pack in, and his cigars are fine. Cuban cigars should be kept at 62 percent or lower.

Master - I agree... but these were very dry. I spoke with at least 4 people stating the same thing... some of which normally order from the same place and they said they were much drier than normal. Who knows...

By no means am I pointintg fingers at the vendor or blaming them... they are GREAT people... they just have a long voyage to make so drying could occur I guess. I am just trying to inform people of what could happen so they can keep and eye on this and possibly prevent what happened to me :)

I'm with The Master on this. If its from the same vendor I'm thinking of, my cigars have always arrived in great condition. I also email him after the order with a note that says,"Dry desert climate destination, please ship accordingly."

I never smoke anything that arrives. I always let them sit until they are back to a decent RH%. Once thay have I will place them into their respective coolers.

Well, its that time of year again. My heater is running almost constantly, and the RH in my apt has dropped to around 30-35%. Seems like a critical time for keeping an eye on your humidor RH.

Yep, I've been spraying the beads at least once a week now just to keep it in range. :(

lucasbuck said:
The Master said:
Cuban cigars should be kept at 62 percent or lower.
[snapback]251018[/snapback]​

Amen to that.
[snapback]251107[/snapback]​
Learn something new every day. I had alway heard 70 for long term, 65 just before comsumption.
So what is the low end of the range?

Secret Santa said:
I'd say about 55%. I keep my on deck humi as close to 60% as I can.
[snapback]251151[/snapback]​

LMAO... Log out dude :p

Secret Santa said:
I'd say about 55%. I keep my on deck humi as close to 60% as I can.
[snapback]251151[/snapback]​

I can imagine humidity might be an issue in the north pole.

Bad Santa. Next thing we'll find out
Santa drinks stuff harder than hot chocolate.
And spends time with three ho's at a time.

The low end of the range is 58 percent in my opinion. My cabinet stays at 58-62 percent most of the time. There are times when I get lazy and my cabinet goes down to 48-50 percent. Because the wood,boxes, and cigars have soaked up so much humidity over the last 5 years it isn't a big deal when it goes low. It would have to stay there for over a couple of months before I would notice any kind of drying effects.