• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban Prices

centurycigar

Rare Stamp & Coin Dealer
Hey Guys....Im heading to Cuba in May and like always, Im gonna max myself out on the legal limit to bring back. Do any of you know of a website or list that actually has current, up-to-date prices for Cuban cigars, with prices in convertible pesos. Just so I know what they normally retail IN Cuba.
I haven't had any luck finding such a source? If anybody has a list, it would very much appreciated.

centurycigar said:
Hey Guys....Im heading to Cuba in May and like always, Im gonna max myself out on the legal limit to bring back. Do any of you know of a website or list that actually has current, up-to-date prices for Cuban cigars, with prices in convertible pesos. Just so I know what they normally retail IN Cuba.
I haven't had any luck finding such a source? If anybody has a list, it would very much appreciated.
[snapback]281935[/snapback]​

I just returned from Cuba. A box of 25 Siglo III costs 8.35 CUC / stick, same as last year. The goverment sets the price LCDH stores.... but resort shops may vary very slightly. I did see Siglo III in old havana (tabacco shop)going for 7.50 CUC.
A Siglo VI Tubos was $20 CUC at the airport. You may want to compare prices on-line.

Exchange rate was 1.30 pesos per canadian dollar. One US dollar buys 1.19 Canadian, and they charge you 10% on top if you use VISA. Limit for Canadians is 23 sticks assorted, not boxed per person, OR 50 cigars boxed with receipt per person (Canadaian residents).

Thats a great resource, thanks a lot.
I usually pay by Visa in Cuba, its just easier and I dnt like to carry that much cash around. Especially if I intend to max my girlfriend and myself out !
Just to clarify on the amount your allowed to bring back:
ONLY 50 right ! No matter if there boxed or loose? 50 is the key number per person?

centurycigar said:
Thats a great resource, thanks a lot.
I usually pay by Visa in Cuba, its just easier and I dnt like to carry that much cash around. Especially if I intend to max my girlfriend and myself out !
Just to clarify on the amount your allowed to bring back:
ONLY 50 right ! No matter if there boxed or loose? 50 is the key number per person?
[snapback]282217[/snapback]​

it is EITHER

(A) 50 BOXED with receipt (1 box of 50, or 2 box x 25) , OR,

(B) 23 Loose cigars per person

this means, any one person is allowed up to 23 loose cigars
OR you must have them boxed with an official receipt

i persoanlly would not use visa as it cost 10% surcharge on top of price at store. you will need to provide your passport to people writing these receipts, so have it with you when you go buying

Yeah, I agree the 10% is a little hard to swallow, but its the added security I get with that I like. If Im buying 100 sticks, thats a lot of cash.
It really sucks that they outlawed the US dollar, last time I went, it was really smooth, no hassles.

"it is EITHER

(B) 23 Loose cigars per person"

sunward...i believe that this is incorrect...the 3 times i have returned from cuba since the rule of 23 was dreamed up(by cuban customs)...i have always returned with more than 50 cigars per person and NEVER had a problem(just pay for my extra boxes back in canada).you may enter canada with (duty free)50 cigars...doesnt matter what the packaging is or isnt...boxed banded loose etc.

anyway...the rule of 23 is a CUBAN export rule...NOT canadian

derrek :)

dvickery said:
"it is EITHER

sunward...i believe that this is incorrect...the 3 times i have returned from cuba since the rule of 23 was dreamed up(by cuban customs)...i have always returned with more than 50 cigars per person and NEVER had a problem(just pay for my extra boxes back in canada).you may enter canada with (duty free)50 cigars...doesnt matter what the packaging is or isnt...boxed banded loose etc.

[snapback]282474[/snapback]​

Derek,

Is their a price limit (set by Canada Customs) on the 50 duty-free smokes? thx.

I believe Canada Customs has a price limit for tobacco based on how long you've been out of the country. I THINK it's $750 for 7 days if I remember correctly.

Jan Primus said:
dvickery said:
"it is EITHER

Derek,

Is their a price limit (set by Canada Customs) on the 50 duty-free smokes? thx.
[snapback]282566[/snapback]​

zeebra is correct...you are allowed 750$canadian duty free for being out of the country for a week...but this includes all of your purchases(souvenirs art towels cigars etc.).

what i do is claim as duty free my 4 most expensive boxes(i go with the wife)and pay duty on the rest...custom rolls are included in the "pay duty on" cigars...i get villanueva marevas.

You are allowed to exit Cuba with 23 cigars and under either with single's or from a box if you do not have a government reciept.
If you have a reciept (ligit) then you can leave with any amount of cigars you please. If you decide to purchase over a USD$1000.00 in Cuban cigars then you should get a letter from the Manager of the cigar store,plus a reciept.

Cuban customs -Government made this rule at 23 cigars because Trinidad Funadadores come in boxes of 24 cigars.

Another lame excuse by Cuban Government to stop export of fakes,but doesn't work as usual ??? just confuses the whole fake and real Cuban cigar issue even more..... :(

dvickery said:
zeebra is correct...you are allowed 750$canadian duty free for being out of the country for a week...but this includes all of your purchases(souvenirs art towels cigars etc.).

what i do is claim as duty free my 4 most expensive boxes(i go with the wife)and pay duty on the rest...custom rolls are included in the "pay duty on" cigars...i get villanueva marevas.

[snapback]282573[/snapback]​

After your limit, how much duty/taxes is it? Do they calculate it per stick or per box?

Also, of topic a little...where to do you recommend exchanging you money?
I want as much back as possible. I heard the airport was the best route.

centurycigar said:
dvickery said:

After your limit, how much duty/taxes is it? Do they calculate it per stick or per box?
[snapback]282591[/snapback]​

Looking at the guide on the Canada customs site it doesn't really say other than:
"If you bring in more than your exemption
allowance, you will have to pay regular
assessments on the excess amount. These regular
assessments can include duties, taxes, and
provincial or territorial fees. CBSA officers
will give an allowance for products that are
marked when they calculate the amounts owing."

Translation: "Prepare to bend over and pay regular canadian taxes on cigars"

Canada customs guide

Zeebra said:
centurycigar said:
dvickery said:

[snapback]282591[/snapback]​

Looking at the guide on the Canada customs site it doesn't really say other than:
"If you bring in more than your exemption
allowance, you will have to pay regular
assessments on the excess amount. These regular
assessments can include duties, taxes, and
provincial or territorial fees. CBSA officers
will give an allowance for products that are
marked when they calculate the amounts owing."

Translation: "Prepare to bend over and pay regular canadian taxes on cigars"

Canada customs guide
[snapback]282597[/snapback]​

Wowzer great resources guys. I don't know what sucks more not being able to import any or paying overexesive duty/retail prices. :angry:

centurycigar said:
Also, of topic a little...where to do you recommend exchanging you money?
I want as much back as possible. I heard the airport was the best route.
[snapback]282594[/snapback]​

Yes, this is the best place . Better to take Sterling as I heard Cuba exchanges
one Euro 1.08 roughly to one CUC. After that Canadian will do also.

dvickery said:
"it is EITHER

Some Cuban Customs Officials are very corrupt, and we had to pay extra (money) to leave the country for overwieght baggage, which they pocketed... my friend almost lost his solid gold ring to the Customs Officer. Trust me, I would not press your luck, on taking anything out that your not allowed, but here it is:
"You may export up to 23 cigars without producing any receipts. If you exceed that amount, you will have to show the official receipt upon leaving. The cigars must still be in their original boxes with all official seals, including the new holographic seal. Art objects (including artifacts and paintings) purchased in Cuba must be accompanied by an export permit. State-owned galleries will usually provide customers with the document. Otherwise, items must be registered with the Registro Nacional de Bienes Culturales, Calle 17 #1009 e/10 y 12, Vedado, Tel. (53-7) 833-9658." >>>source International Traveller's Advisory

Yeah I agree, you want to stick to the rules, especially when your dealing with a country that treats policing and customs like its their own personal business.

centurycigar said:
Yeah I agree, you want to stick to the rules, especially when your dealing with a country that treats policing and customs like its their own personal business.
[snapback]282846[/snapback]​

C'mon live a little!

I don't want to be negative, and although I've never been, I have plenty of friends who have. I have however traveled all over the world to some fascinating places. The last thing -- the very last thing -- you want is a problem in another country, perhaps one that is, let's say, "not as friendly". Sometimes these things can spiral out of control.

Enjoy the trip.

Eric