• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

cuban hologram

drhophead3

Should the hologram sticker be on all authentic boxes of cuban cigars. I have gotten many boxes from what I thought were reputable retailers, and none of the boxes have the holograms

I assume you are referring to the Habanos S.A. hologram.

The answer would be no in my opinion. I was recentlly in LCDH of Grand Cayman and they had two sections, one where duty has been paid on the cigars and another where is has not. The ones where duty has been paid, had this sticker and the ones where is has not did not have the sticker.

Now I may be wrong but I would guess that the sticker is only from places where they have to pay duties. The other sources that I have used to not pay duty and there has been no sticker so I would not worry too much about it as long as you got them from a reputable source. Feel free to PM me with the source and I can possibly help.

By the way, you may want to go to the "Introduce Yourself" forum and post a little about yourself and fill in your profile some.

Being new and asking about ISOM's on your first post is not reccomended :)

drhophead3 said:
Should the hologram sticker be on all authentic boxes of cuban cigars. I have gotten many boxes from what I thought were reputable retailers, and none of the boxes have the holograms
[snapback]266026[/snapback]​

Welcome, DrHopHead.

No offense intended...but it sounds like you weren't 1) confident in your suppliers and 2) sure of what authentic product/packaging should be. So why would you have bought "many boxes" if the risk of being hoodwinked was so great?

There's a lot of great information here and many knowledgeable members. If you're thinking about seriously getting into the forbidden leaf, this is a great place to learn what you need to learn to protect yourself.

Regards,
Wilkey

I found my own answer at
http://www.finestcubancigars.com/directory.cfm?fpid=49
Holograms: The Facts Behind the Sticker

Why a hologram?

Holograms were only produced for the Cuban market in order to circumvent
fakes coming out of Cuba. Only Habanos shops inside Cuba have Holograms
on boxes. They had too many fakes smuggled out of Cuba and into the
world. The hologram is for INTERNAL (inside Cuba) USE ONLY.

Habanos will not place holograms on their own boxes to sell to
their own distributors. There is not a single authorized Habanos
distributor in the world that has Holograms on his boxes.

thanks for your help

I would have to say that that is incorrect. I know for a fact that the LCDH in Grand Cayman and the one in Cozumel both had a selection that did have the holograms. Also, the Havana Club in Cozumel had them as well. So that goes against the "Only in Cuba" theory. The reat may be accurate though as I do not know that part.

I've seen more than one kind of hologram sticker. Different countries have different ones. Some have none. Alot of the info on the net can be misleading. The best way to find out the facts is to get to know some people in the know.

If I were a cynical man, I would suggest this newbie's 2 posts were an intentional plug for this website where he "found his own answer". Funny that the website where he found his answer also ships Cubans to anywhere in the world. Great cooincidence that.

Nice piece of deduction, Zee. I see that they are not on "the list" put up by CP.

Wilkey

Ginseng said:
Nice piece of deduction, Zee. I see that they are not on "the list" put up by CP.

Wilkey
[snapback]266635[/snapback]​

Neither are a number of other companies that have good reputations on this board and other boards (although not discussed about publicly). That does not make the internet retailer this gentleman is using any less reliable than ones freely listed (which seems sort of dangerous, no?).

Then again, it could be exactly as you've stated...

:p

Mindflux,

Your point is a good one and one worth making.

I can't speak for Zee's observation but the cynicism in my response has to do with this being a sort of "not totally above board" way for said retailer to present himself and his business on CP. Of course, if drhophead3 has no stake in the business he linked...then nevermind :D

Point of fact: I do not know for sure and so perhaps this should be the extent of my speculation.

Wilkey

you guys are a bunch of a-holes. I have no affiliation with that website, nor have I ever ordered anything from them. I simply came upon the information by doing a google search. It is a shame that you guys are so full of yourselves that you allienate a newcomer that simply was looking for some insight in to cuban cigars. I am sorry I even signed up as a user. you guys stink :(

drhophead3 said:
you guys are a bunch of a-holes. I have no affiliation with that website, nor have I ever ordered anything from them. I simply came upon the information by doing a google search. It is a shame that you guys are so full of yourselves that you allienate a newcomer that simply was looking for some insight in to cuban cigars. I am sorry I even signed up as a user. you guys stink :(
[snapback]267700[/snapback]​

Please don't feel that way people just do not trust new people it takes a little time. I think you raised a good question any fogs please give us the answer.

drhophead3 said:

Didn't mean to accuse you of anything, but like the other poster said, people on here are wary when new users sign up and post links to cigar buying websites. Didn't mean to offend you, but calling us a bunch of a-holes and saying we stink is going a bit far. Give us another chance and we can do the same for you.

drhophead3 said:

DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASS!!!

Little Bitch.

Ironworker said:
drhophead3 said:
you guys are a bunch of a-holes. I have no affiliation with that website, nor have I ever ordered anything from them. I simply came upon the information by doing a google search. It is a shame that you guys are so full of yourselves that you allienate a newcomer that simply was looking for some insight in to cuban cigars. I am sorry I even signed up as a user. you guys stink  :(

DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASS!!!

Little Bitch.
[snapback]269107[/snapback]​

My sentiments, exactly.