• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuba update

Johnny-O!

According to Reuters, Raul has now made it legal to sell DVD, Computers, Video camera equipment. It was also noted that A/C units can be legally sold in May 2009, bread toasters and hot water heaters in 2010. On the down side, Raul was quoted as saying that they are considering putting the Cuban Peso at 19:1 vs the U$D which means a devaluation of another 5%. John

Just out of curiosity......If a box of cigars runs on average of 250 dollars, whats it cost there on the Island after the conversion to USD? Hopefully Raul will begin talks with the US and we can all be friends.

Just out of curiosity......If a box of cigars runs on average of 250 dollars, whats it cost there on the Island after the conversion to USD? Hopefully Raul will begin talks with the US and we can all be friends.

Aint gonna happen. Its still a Castro.

Saw that that in the morning news. How can you buy an A/C if the electricity to run it is sparse?

They had problems with electricity a few years ago ('04 and '05) as a main power plant got knocked out by a hurricane and they did not have the parts or the technicians to fix it. So they had brown and blackouts, typically in the evening when everyone was home. The worst would be when they shut it off 2-3 am, the mosquitos were having a party. Some sections in Pinar del Rio were without electricity 2-3 weeks. I spoke to many Cubans that went there on vacation in that time frame and told me they hadn't slept in 2 weeks because of the mosquitos. But they have some generators from China and Chavez's oil for medical operations plan so outages have been limited lately. I must note that to bring in a desktop computer a $800 convertible pesos duty is applied ($1000 US). If a laptop is brought in by a foreign national it is considered personal use and no duty is charged. If a laptop is brought in by a Cuban residing in another country $500 convertible pesos duty is applied ($625 US). John

Where I live, you can't buy a box of cigars for $250. :blush:
But I think I know what you are getting at.

Cuaba Exclusivos, for example sell for $242.00 CUC but my credit card gets charged in USD -about $269 or just over 11% more.
If the CUC/USD exchange goes to 19% those Cuabas will cost about $288.00 :(

At the moment, our CAD is about $.02 above the USD so I would pay about $262.00 once the CC charge is converted.

On those rare occasions when there is actually a "sale"(like there was at 5ta.y16 during the Festival) you might luck onto something like the SLB of Hoyo Petit Robustos (Reg. $117.50CUC) I picked up for $76.40CUC. The USD charge was $85.00 and because of the fluctuations in CAD/USD the cost to me was a cent or two less.

Commander Bob
Cigar shopper.

5ta y 16 one of my favorite places Bob. Osmani is one of the most down to earth guys on the island. John

while we are giving props:

a shout out to leticia at EL ALJIBE cigar shop. this place is attached to the restaurant and is a fantastic little shop. letica is a doll and speaks from experience. it is just a pleasure when she pulls out a rare treat from the shelves. like when she offered me two boxes of 98 hdm le hoyo du mare.(a cigar under 4 grams doesnt count against quota w/ mexican customs)

well worth a visit when in miramar.

cheers
drew p

The nice thing about Aljibe is that despite the fact that it has been in ALL the guidebooks for years, everybody who knows cigars goes there to hang out, hoards of tourists pack the place every day and the staff can be a bit gruff if someone they know comes in when the tables are full... the FOOD is still pretty darn good. As long as you stick to the chicken.

The unfortunate thing about Aljibe is that it has been in ALL the guidebooks for years, everybody who knows cigars goes there to hang out, hoards of tourists pack the place every day and the staff can be a bit gruff if someone they know comes in when the tables are full...

Commander Bob
If it's busy, try the Castilla Espana on the next corner west- especially the outdoor grill in the back.
Both eateries are a short walk from 5ta.y16.