• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuabas

nfulton

I am a huge fan of the perfecto shape. I have had plenty of LA Pref. and the different Gurkas...all wonderful smokes. But now I am very interested in trying the Cuabas. Any suggestions? I am eyeing a salomon, but they don't come cheap. What about the smaller sizes? Or, should I steer clear?

Any help? ???

I tried a couple of Cuaba Exclusivos... I do not know what was the age on them.
First couple of puffs were very decent but after that... well... in short I did not like 'em and trade the rest for something else.
I am just talking about taste and flavor which were just not for me. Construction was very good. Draw perfect.
But you know how it is. Tastes are different and you might like it very much. It is you who will smoke 'em anyway.
I'm not sure how this will help. But hope that FOGs will come for rescue.

nfulton said:
I am a huge fan of the perfecto shape. I have had plenty of LA Pref. and the different Gurkas...all wonderful smokes. But now I am very interested in trying the Cuabas. Any suggestions? I am eyeing a salomon, but they don't come cheap. What about the smaller sizes? Or, should I steer clear?

Any help? ???
[snapback]283723[/snapback]​

I like them, they have a open field on a sunny day taste (YMMV)... I have a Cuaba Tradicionales sitting in my Humi, since you are being nice enough to send me one of your aged Bolis... I'll send you my last Cuaba :)

Shawn

Oh, not the last. But if you must, I really appreciate it.

Thanks Shawn,
n

nfulton,

I've got a Cuaba Divinos I can send you. It's their tiniest stick and supposedly quite strong for a Cuaba.

Wilkey

nfulton said:
Oh, not the last. But if you must, I really appreciate it.

Thanks Shawn,
n
[snapback]283835[/snapback]​

LOL its not like I cant get more ;) (And my wife thinks I stayed in Germany for the beer :p )

Damn, you guys are great! I guess I can just go the store to get more too. It just so happens to be 5 hours away in Canada! :D Lucky you. Oh, and they are both headed out tomorrow morn. I would have done it today, but the little one is sick.

n

I have been smoking on a box of Generosos from November 1999. They are good cigars, but the flavor profile is not among my favorite Habanos. They are a bit more herbal and grassy, with some charred wood flavors. Interesting for a change, but not one of my everyday smokes.

cigardawg said:
I have been smoking on a box of Generosos from November 1999. They are good cigars, but the flavor profile is not among my favorite Habanos. They are a bit more herbal and grassy, with some charred wood flavors. Interesting for a change, but not one of my everyday smokes.
[snapback]283933[/snapback]​

The Cuaba's are better with a little age on them, at least 18 months IMO. The smaller ones seem to be a bit stronger than the bigger ones...the few salamon's I've had were medium in strength. The box of '98 Generosos I had were pretty good, but like Dawg points out not an everday cigar.
-Rob

I recently bought a box of Divinos (Sept 05). I haven’t smoked any yet, they are sitting in my humidor. I have read that there have been some Cuaba’s that have a really tight draw. Has anyone experienced this? If so were the cigars new or aged?

TOFan said:
I recently bought a box of Divinos (Sept 05). I haven’t smoked any yet, they are sitting in my humidor. I have read that there have been some Cuaba’s that have a really tight draw. Has anyone experienced this? If so were the cigars new or aged?
[snapback]283943[/snapback]​

As a general rule of thumb, Cuban cigars purchased from 99, 00, and early 01 have a higher rate of construction problems than others. This was a period when the QA/QC at the factories was almost non-existent. Since the middle of 01, the quality has steadily gotten better. Will you still find plugged cigars? Yes, but they should be fewer and farther between.

That said, I have not heard of any particular problems with Cuabas.

They taste as if you were smoking some freshly mowed grass! :D

To grassy for my tastes.

I like them, very much, perhaps because of the shape. I've found them to develop very nicely with age and turn into a very nice smoke. I think that, for the most part, they are very well made, good construction, nice burn, etc.

Now I am not a small cigar regular and I have found some of the Cuaba's to have some great, robust, flavors for a small cigar. Some I've had I would say they had a "strong" flavor, but they had many, rich flavors as well. I think they are complex and can offer a variety of flavors -- smooth, almost creamy at times, a bit of coffee, others as well (I am not good at that "fluffy" kind of review).

Anyway, I like this line.

Eric

This is why the forum is so great. I ask a simple question and get a great in depth answer.

Thanks cigardawg.

cigardawg said:
TOFan said:
I recently bought a box of Divinos (Sept 05).  I haven’t smoked any yet, they are sitting in my humidor.  I have read that there have been some Cuaba’s that have a really tight draw.  Has anyone experienced this?  If so were the cigars new or aged?
[snapback]283943[/snapback]​

As a general rule of thumb, Cuban cigars purchased from 99, 00, and early 01 have a higher rate of construction problems than others. This was a period when the QA/QC at the factories was almost non-existent. Since the middle of 01, the quality has steadily gotten better. Will you still find plugged cigars? Yes, but they should be fewer and farther between.

That said, I have not heard of any particular problems with Cuabas.
[snapback]284064[/snapback]​

A million thanks for all the generosity...wilkey, seadub, wurm, texas stang. ;) I had to break one of the cuabas out and try. Perfect. I certainly tasted the grass, but to my suprise, it suited my tastes well. Not to mention the size was perfect for me (always running), and they were well constructed with a pleasant burn and draw. And thanks for the "bonuses"! :love:

and thanks for trusting a noob...i know it's only a dozen letters from boob!

n

and happy b-day wurm!