• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars similar to the Fuente Short Story?

Daniel

Hi guys, I'm about a year into cigar smoking, and the A. Fuente Hemingway Short Story is by far my favorite cigar in that price range. I really love the taste but I can't seem to find that taste anywhere else, even within the Hemingway line; although apparently it isn't a true Hemingway, it's just under that name - http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Da...347,251,00.html
So can anyone help me find a larger cigar with the same taste or similar taste as the Short Story? Thanks for your time.

I think it is a 'true' Hemingway. Same Cameroon wrapper and filler, just a smaller gauge and shorter length. Obviously there are other Cameroon wrapped cigars, but I haven't smoked anything similar to the Short Story. You might give the Torano 1916 robusto a try. That's an affordable Cameroon, and pretty tasty.

If you can find the Best Seller or the Work of Art. Both are by Arturo Fuente and both stellar.

I second the Torano Cameroon Cabinet.

You have to try

LFD Cameroon Cabinet
H Upmann Vintage Cameroon.

Mark

LFD Cameroon Cabinet

Mark

Don't know why I didn't think of that cigar. The LFD Cameroon Cab robusto is also a favorite Cameroon of mine. Similar to the Short Story, it has a little bit of 'bite' to it, and also as you're finding with the Hemingway line, the different vitolas deliver different flavors and strengths. The robusto just happens to be my favorite size in that line.

What the others have said is true. If you like the Short Story you'll love the WOAN and the Best Seller. When you get a chance you should head on over to here and introduce yourself. Happy cammy hunting.

Try the Oliva Series G Special G. It's even shaped like a short story, and has a cameroon wrap as well.

You might try an Ashton Heritage Puro Sol - they're a bit pricier, being Ashtons, but they're very tasty, and remarkably smooth, Cameroons. They don't have that same "bite" that a Short Story does, though.

I also second Brandon's recommendation on Fuente's Don Carlos line - they are very similar to the Hemingways but with a bit more strength.

LFD Cameroon Cabinet

Mark

Don't know why I didn't think of that cigar. The LFD Cameroon Cab robusto is also a favorite Cameroon of mine. Similar to the Short Story, it has a little bit of 'bite' to it, and also as you're finding with the Hemingway line, the different vitolas deliver different flavors and strengths. The robusto just happens to be my favorite size in that line.

I''ll add another vote for the LFD Cameroon Cabinet, but I prefer the No. 1. They are excellent cigars with a ton of flavor and a nice finish that's cleaner than a lot of Cameroons I've smoked.

You've got some great suggestions so far. I would also recommend the Cuesta Ray Stanford's Cameroon Pyramide #9.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. Looks like I'm gonna check out the LFD Cameroon Cabinet first, as a couple of you recommended it.

Try the Oliva Series G Special G. It's even shaped like a short story, and has a cameroon wrap as well.

I realized I had an Oliva G Robusto in my humidor so I lit it up tonite and has some similar tastes. It's more peppery whereas the Short Story is a bit more earthy, but it has some of the same leathery tones.

Hi guys, I'm about a year into cigar smoking, and the A. Fuente Hemingway Short Story is by far my favorite cigar in that price range. I really love the taste but I can't seem to find that taste anywhere else, even within the Hemingway line; although apparently it isn't a true Hemingway, it's just under that name. So can anyone help me find a larger cigar with the same taste or similar taste as the Short Story? Thanks for your time.

First off, it is a true Hemingway. If your local shop told you different, don't worry. My local shop says there is only one size of Hemingway maduros, and that they only come out every ten years :rolleyes: (they come once a year around Christmas). All Hemingway naturals, and mostly maduros, have the same taste. I've tried every size in every shade available except Untold Story natural.

Now as for your question. If price is something that attracts you to this cigar, then I usually find that cigars of the same size are usually around the same prize. I would recommend some of these:

Macanudo Diplomat
Ashton Cabinet Selection #3
Macanudo Robust Diplomat
Macanudo Maduro Diplomat
Punch Champion
La Flor Dominicana Reserva Especial El Jocko Perfecto

Now granted, some will be stronger or weaker, and will be different, but I think you have a good base point to compare other cigars taste profiles to. Use it. Find out what cigars around that size have similar and/or different tastes and also try new cigars. Just my $0.02 Good luck.

Hi guys, I'm about a year into cigar smoking, and the A. Fuente Hemingway Short Story is by far my favorite cigar in that price range. I really love the taste but I can't seem to find that taste anywhere else, even within the Hemingway line; although apparently it isn't a true Hemingway, it's just under that name. So can anyone help me find a larger cigar with the same taste or similar taste as the Short Story? Thanks for your time.

First off, it is a true Hemingway. If your local shop told you different, don't worry. My local shop says there is only one size of Hemingway maduros, and that they only come out every ten years :rolleyes: (they come once a year around Christmas). All Hemingway naturals, and mostly maduros, have the same taste. I've tried every size in every shade available except Untold Story natural.

Now as for your question. If price is something that attracts you to this cigar, then I usually find that cigars of the same size are usually around the same prize. I would recommend some of these:

Macanudo Diplomat
Ashton Cabinet Selection #3
Macanudo Robust Diplomat
Macanudo Maduro Diplomat
Punch Champion
La Flor Dominicana Reserva Especial El Jocko Perfecto

Now granted, some will be stronger or weaker, and will be different, but I think you have a good base point to compare other cigars taste profiles to. Use it. Find out what cigars around that size have similar and/or different tastes and also try new cigars. Just my $0.02 Good luck.

It wasn't my shop, it was a comment from the company in an article online. I find that a short story and a hemingway classic taste completely different, and when I first started smoking them I was confused about this. So thinking that it was just the wrapper or the size I cut a little off from a classic and a short story, removed the wrapper, and smoked both out of my pipe separately, and they still had two different tastes. Try it yourself.

And no, price has nothing to do with why I like it, I wish it was that simple.

I used to be a Short Story whore...
Now I am a Don Carlos #4 whore!

-Rob

First off, I am not going to say that Wayne did not say that, but there is no date, or anything else for reference on that article. Secondly, it contradicts what there own website, not to mention everything else involving these cigars. Here's a screen shot of cigarfamily.com:

CFHemingway.jpg

Now you asked for recommendations, you have gotten numerous replies, but frankly, it just seems like you are baiting for an argument. I do not care what some unreliable (at least to me) says, I know all the cigars I discussed, and I have smoked them NUMEROUS times. They all share similar taste.