• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cedar plank trays?

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Do any of you guys cook use a tray under your cedar planks to preserve the planks?

I've seen a couple advertised but I don't know if it changes anything about the cook?

1717499293121.png

I soak mine for a couple hours and then place directly on the grill/smoker.

I don't attempt to reuse since they are infused with fish juice after a cook.
This is exactly what I do.......Plain and simple with great results!

This is exactly what I do.......Plain and simple with great results!
I did this last night and the bottom burned pretty good. I expect I will only get one more use out of it before it's done. I have two currently, one marked for salmon and one for chicken. Since I am only cooking for me, usually, I hate to spend $2 for a new peice of cedar every time I cook a peice of salmon.

I am going to try something tonight and I will update with results.

I did this last night and the bottom burned pretty good. I expect I will only get one more use out of it before it's done. I have two currently, one marked for salmon and one for chicken. Since I am only cooking for me, usually, I hate to spend $2 for a new peice of cedar every time I cook a peice of salmon.

I am going to try something tonight and I will update with results.
first time we cook with the plank on the grill I also thought I was going to get a couple of uses out of each plank......NFW

Part Deux

I used a tray with holes. It extended the cook time by a bit but definitely allowed more cedar flavor without burning the plank.

1717537359098.png

Part Deux

I used a tray with holes. It extended the cook time by a bit but definitely allowed more cedar flavor without burning the plank.

View attachment 82628
But what about all that crap the fish leaves on the plank? To reuse it seems very unsanitary IMO. But hey... I'm not a grill master or even close. I'm tryin' to learn something here.

But what about all that crap the fish leaves on the plank? To reuse it seems very unsanitary IMO. But hey... I'm not a grill master or even close. I'm tryin' to learn something here.
I scrub it good but not with soap. I only use the plank for salmon so it doesn't impart flavor.

And ....... what doesn't kill you will make you stronger! :)

I scrub it good but not with soap. I only use the plank for salmon so it doesn't impart flavor.

And ....... what doesn't kill you will make you stronger! :)
Ahhhh! OK! Then you get what... 4-5 uses? I've never used one.

Man, this is just too analogous to smoking half a cigar and coming back to it a few days later and expecting it to be decent.
🤮🤢🤮🤢🤮

Man, this is just too analogous to smoking half a cigar and coming back to it a few days later and expecting it to be decent.
🤮🤢🤮🤢🤮
Hell... I smoke a half a cigar from the night before the next morning. As long as it hasn't been closed up in something... I enjoy it.

Hell... I smoke a half a cigar from the night before the next morning. As long as it hasn't been closed up in something... I enjoy it.

I'm not entirely sure a leftover cigar would even burn the next morning after spending the night outdoors in the Gulf Coast region.

Thousands of dollars in cigars and you're worried about a $3 plank? Let the bitch burn!
A.) What makes you think I have thousands of dollars worth of cigars?

B.) The thousands of dollars worth of cigars are exactly why I don't have the money to buy the cedar plank every time I cook a piece of salmon.

C.) Every cedar plank I burn is one less beer that I can drink.

:cool:

A.) What makes you think I have thousands of dollars worth of cigars?

B.) The thousands of dollars worth of cigars are exactly why I don't have the money to buy the cedar plank every time I cook a piece of salmon.

C.) Every cedar plank I burn is one less beer that I can drink.

:cool:
This shit is funny!

That pic you posted above, is that your typical salmon cooking setup?

You may be able to turn the salmon 90° to fit it the other way. That would take 1/4 to 1/3 of the board. If you cut them to size, that's 3 to 4 fresh uses out of one board.

Even if your salmon is too long for that way, you could definitely slide it down and cut the board in half.

Especially using that metal rack underneath to diffuse the heat, I don't think there would be any change in the cook / flavor on a shorter board.