• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Building Wooden Cigar Case

JB_No7

Greetings all,
I'm considering building a small one or two-cigar case to protect my cigars when I go out and about. I am wondering if anyone knows if southern yellow pine is a wood that would impart an unplesant taste on my cigars, if left in contact with them for say an hour or two? I'm not really concerned about humidity, since I anticipate only keeping them in the case a short time, and southern yellow pine is what I have handy. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I don't think you'll have any problems at all.

Now if it were PRESSURE TREATED, I'd say don't use it :D

Pretty sure it isn't...pressure treated wood can be nasty stuff. Thanks for the info!

You probably wouldn't have any problems if the cigars were just kept there for a short time. But, yellow pine can ooze sap even after it has dried. It can also impart an aroma that may not be what you wanted. Mahogany may work better. Honduran mahoghany if you can find it would be great.

Matt R said:
You probably wouldn't have any problems if the cigars were just kept there for a short time. But, yellow pine can ooze sap even after it has dried. It can also impart an aroma that may not be what you wanted. Mahogany may work better. Honduran mahoghany if you can find it would be great.
[snapback]150822[/snapback]​

If you can't find the Honduran mahoghany near you I have some scrap
I'ts 1/4 inch plywood. PM if you need it

Bill

Thanks guys, I think I'll make one and try it out, and after the holidays check around at some of the lumbar yards and sawmills and see what I can find.

Here are some links for some honduran Lumber, plywood, veneer, and blocks.

www.woodnshop.com

This does look nice.

MAHOGANY.jpg

Here is Peach State lumber in GA

Peach State Lumber, Kennshaw, GA

be sure to post pictures when your done.

Good Luck,

Frank