• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Gold Medals...from 2000

BobbyRitz

You're Fired, Daddy.
So I managed to pick up a box of 2000 Boli Gold Medals. Hmmm....you say that they weren't manufactured in 2000? I say that I agree. But if you were an important visitor to the Partagas factory that year, they handed out boxes to a very select few.

I would love any additional information that the FOGs on this site have to offer. I'm working on learning the signature on the box. Initial reports suggest it was one of the factory managers in 2000.

IMG_5846.jpg

Not the greatest date stamp.

IMG_5851.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5859.jpg

Here is a picture of them with a Nov 06 box. Note that the LCdH band wasn't included and the gold foil is more lemon yellow as opposed to golden yellow with the recent production.

IMG_5860.jpg

Interesting find Rob. I would love to hear the story on these.

As far as them being made in 2000.....I do know that some 210 were made for the Siglo XXI humidors. Maybe this box and others were the over-runs from that 98/99 production?

Very good point and thanks Mike. I'm working to learn more. I have several emails out there and hopefully I'll have greater clarity in the near future.

Rob

As far as them being made in 2000.....I do know that some 210 were made for the Siglo XXI humidors. Maybe this box and others were the over-runs from that 98/99 production?
Excellent catch, Mike. Plausible hypothesis there.

Wilkey

I agree Wilkey, excellent response Mike. The best I've received on a couple of sites regarding these cigars.

Hi Rob

Lets start with the basics.......What are the letters on the warranty label? Do they begin with xx or AB AC AD. That is just for dating purposes. Does the coat of arms glow a purplish color under black light. Is the label the larger version?
There appears to be no month on the code. Also the ink is quite runny. Many of the stamps that Ive seen from that time frame from OSU are in blue ink(this is not to say that black wasn't used). I was also there in 2000. I didnt see any of these but again that doesnt mean anything.

Bob

Awesome! I will be very interested to hear how these are

Bob-

Per usual, thank you for your input. The warranty seal doesn't have any letters/numbers. It is the older, lighter green seal, which would indicate that these cigars should be very early 2000 production (I agree that the stamp is sloppy and doesn't help us with the month of production). I'm not sure of the precise rollout of the new, numbered seals, but I'm led to believe that it was early 2000.

I left my card reader at work. I'll have to post a pic of the seal tomorrow. I do not have a blacklight, but I do not believe this relates to the older seals.

Rob

I just received an email that the signature was head of quality control at the Partagas factory in 2000. That individuals name evades the person from whom I purchased this box.

Rob

Very plausible; that kind of thing happens quite often.

assuming these are genuine

as has been previously stated...some were made for the siglo XXI humidors in '99.

the seal is pre 2000

my guess...they are from '99...in particular one of these months

EPOO 05/99
ESOO 06/99
EUOO 07/99
EAOO 08/99
EOOO 09/99
LEOO 10/99
LLOO 11/99
LROO 12/99

derrek :)

Bob-

Per usual, thank you for your input. The warranty seal doesn't have any letters/numbers. It is the older, lighter green seal, which would indicate that these cigars should be very early 2000 production (I agree that the stamp is sloppy and doesn't help us with the month of production). I'm not sure of the precise rollout of the new, numbered seals, but I'm led to believe that it was early 2000.

I left my card reader at work. I'll have to post a pic of the seal tomorrow. I do not have a blacklight, but I do not believe this relates to the older seals.

Rob

Hi Rob.......The black light only applies to the newer labels as you have said. Here are some positive things that I see as well as negative things. First the good. The outer top lid shows signs of age. Also if you look at the Habanos 45 degree label you note that the red lettering is high lighted with an orangish color. This color is normally a yellowish color. In 2000 this label with the orangish color was used about 50% of the time. I have seen this prior to 2000 and up to 2003. Had this label had the yellowish highlight it would not have been helpful. As always keep in mind I am only looking at a picture.
The cigars themselves look very good IMO. Many times couterfeiters try to make the cigars look flawless. Perfect wrappers etc. Cubans are not that way. I think we all can agree on that. So these look fine.

Now the not so good. Box code stamps incomplete and runny ink, also note the additional horizontal line of that same ink. Normal stamps do not do this to that degree or at all. The Bolivor cigar band has been applied to the cigar directly in front of the gold foil. This is unusual and normaly would be applied partialy to the gold foil to create a seamless appearence. Note the gap between the foil and the cigar band.
A very small % of boxes in 2000 had the old style warranty label.

You may still have a perfectly good unofficial box. I can tell you that I have many unofficial boxes that could be questioned the same way as your box. For example If I said that I had a box of Bolivar Royal Coronas Limited Edition 2001 you would all say they didnt make them. But in fact they did, unofficialy. I have them. From smoking them I know their the real deal. The difficult decision here is whether to smoke one to comfirm their authentic. If you do and they are real then you have broken a very rare box. On the flip side these will always be questionable if you dont. Best of luck with these Rob. I will try to get more info on.....Some how how I think today will be your lucky day ;)
Bob

The difficult decision here is whether to smoke one to comfirm their authentic.
Bob
Somehow I think I know the answer to this one. ;)

Rob, if you put up the LCDH and 2000 BGM's I'll put up two Wolters BGMs and we can smoke our freakin' asses off some evening. :D

Wilkey

Any update on these Rob??
Yes. I've determined that these are counterfeits. Rob should send them to me for forensic dissection of the nubs. I will, of course, have to smoke them in their entirety to determine whether they are made with Mexican or Guatemalan tobacco.

Wilkey

Any update on these Rob??
Yes. I've determined that these are counterfeits. Rob should send them to me for forensic dissection of the nubs. I will, of course, have to smoke them in their entirety to determine whether they are made with Mexican or Guatemalan tobacco.

Wilkey

Excellent idea Wilkey. I would like to offer up my services for this tasting as well. I think this would be in the best interest of the board Rob. Pm for my addy ;) Thanks!

Wilkey (EDIT: and Mike), very funny! :)

Mike, I haven't been able to glean any additional information regarding these cigars. I have received several offers to buy them, but no new information. :)

Your answer makes the most sense thus far. Something tells me it's going to take some time to figure these cigars out.

Rob