• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Belicosos Finos opinions

BigJake6904

Fat Texan
I heard from a friend of mine that the best cigar of 2007 this year was picked as the Bolivar Belicoso Fino. Of course, after hearing this I had to get my hands on a box, and after a couple weeks I did :-) I lit one up and it was kinda like smoking a piece of heaven. The heavy underlying wood taste was like none other I had experienced before, and well, it was awesome.

Now this is the only cuban I have yet to have the privelege of smoking, but in comparison to y'alls personal favorites, how does it rank? I'd just like to get the opinion of a few guys and well, maybe some opinions on a "better" smoke for me to order one day. So. let's hear it...

One of the few ISOMs that have really impressed me. The BBF is a great smoke everytime.

Guess I need to try some recent vintage. The BBF has long been my least favorite Bolivar.

Wilkey

I smoked several as soon as I got them and found them to be bold (but not overpowering) in strength with wood and tobacco flavors and just a little sweetness. I thought they were excellent. I pulled another out about 7 weeks after getting the box and it was like a completely different (and unpleasant) cigar - acrid, dry in the mouth...not very good at all.

The box I got was dated quite close to when I got them so I smoked those first few when they were quite fresh. After that less-than-stellar one, I assumed they needed a long rest so I put the box in the back of my humidor and don't plan to touch another until this summer at the very earliest.

I am a big fan of the Monte No. 2 so I am biased but I thought those first few Bolivars were great smokes - quite a different taste than the Montes but wonderful all the same. I am betting that with a year or more on them they will become very tasty indeed.

Edit for spelling

The first ones out of my box were also very fresh and nice, however, I hope they don't become a worse smoke only over a few short months. Hmmm, I guess we shall see.

I would have to say, the BBF and the BRC, are my favorite ISOM's if they have a little age on them. I have not gotten any of the '07's but it appears you are suggesting just that.

It was just something i "heard" from a friend with no actual evidence. They aren't bad though eh?

The first ones out of my box were also very fresh and nice, however, I hope they don't become a worse smoke only over a few short months. Hmmm, I guess we shall see.

I didn't mean to imply that they would get worse over time at all - the opposite actually.

A lot of cigars are great when they are very fresh. A consensus of Cuban cigar experts feel that once that "straight from the factory" period is over, the cigars then need to age to get past their initial post-rolling fermentation during which they expel compounds such as ammonia and can lead to pretty harsh, acrid, and otherwise unpleasant tastes. (Don't ask me why this happens, I am merely regurgitating a distillation of the things that I have read that seem to confirm what I have personally experienced.)

Anyway, the point is that once these cigars get past this initial phase of aging, they begin to get better and better and better. So, patience - of which I have little - is key. My guess is that they will surprise you once they gain some age.

Now, I have smoked some Cubans that were great from Day 1 and never did anything but get better. I have also smoked some that were not very good at all when I first got them but became excellent after some some months or, in some cases, well over a year. (I haven't managed to keep my hands off my cigars long enough to get any past 2 years but I am trying :) )

In all cases, the older the cigar, the better I found it. Again, I have only smoked a very few Cubans that were more than a few years old so take my opinion with that in mind.

On my must-try list. I have heard and read numerous reports about the '07s and '06s being fantastic. Pretty good prices on these right now as well.

Wasn't the Bolivar Royal Corona the top ranking Cuban last year?

Honestly, I've had lots of good experiences with the Royal Corona and the Corona Extra (these ROCK!), but the Belicoso Fino has been a bit spotty. Sometimes good...sometimes crap. ???

I dont know about the 07s but the box I have been smoking from "POS June 06" is fantastic. The best they have been in years. Sweet, cinnamon, earthy and medium to full bodied. A real finger burner.
I hope they continue the excellent blending of this clasic cigar.

Bob

Now this is the only cuban I have yet to have the privelege of smoking ...
I've never had a bad BBF but then, I'm a big Bolivar fan.

If this is your first Cuban Cigar you have a lot of pleasant sampling ahead! As you have just discovered with your Boli experience, Cuban tobacco has a unique flavour and body and you now have to experiment to find the blends and styles you like the best.

May I suggest :

Partagás
Saint Luis Rey
El Rey del Mundo

If you liked the Bolivar, you may be disappointed with the normal Cohiba line but could well enjoy a Siglo IV or Siglo VI

Commander Bob

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

Well I more than appreciate the input. I love SLR and Partagas S (non-cubans) but never really have been a big cohiba fan. Though, Cubans do have a significant difference with their blends and underlying tastes. Still, worth a try. Havent ever seen them able to be purchased at anything less than a box price though, maybe I'll stumble on a place somewhere where I can sample without buying a box of something I dont particularly care for. Once again, I appreciate the input, and Happy NEw Years to you too!

MMmmm...mmmm!! From 07 and this thing was very tasty! From last year...:laugh:

010108_0001_edited-1.jpg

One of my most memorable cigar was a BBF. It was a single that came from an 01 box. It had incredible creamed coffee and bittersweet chocolate flavors, it was earthy, and burned razor sharp. I bought the 5 remaining from that box and unfortunately only came close once. The other 4 were too tight or plugged. Since then, I've gone through 2 cabinets and never found that nirvana ever again. They're still good smokes, just nothing like those 2 from the 01 box. I've since stopped buying the BBF, but from the sound of the late 06s and 07s, I may have to try them again.

i love the royal corona, but the bbf is an even better cigar. never a disappointment, always a flavor bomb.

Guess I need to try some recent vintage. The BBF has long been my least favorite Bolivar.

Wilkey

I very much agree. Not that they're bad, but I always seem to prefer other vitolas in the line.