• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bad Source or Just In Need of Proper Aging

walletjes

Hi All

I've ordered approx. a dozen boxes of cubans from the reputable sources that have come highly recommended from most cigar forums. The cigars range in quality and size from Cuaba Divinos to Romeo Churchills. All boxes are dated from this past year.

I usually just smoke one then toss the box in the humidor for proper aging. Anyway, out of the dozen or so cigars I tested, I'd say one was tasty and had that nice Cuban twang. Believe it or not that was the Cuaba. The rest were not worth even smoking!

My question being...Is it possible all these cigars just need aging? Or...God forbid they are fake!

As I stated earlier, the sources are the same ones that everyone else has been using.

Thanks in advance

Dave

My question being...Is it possible all these cigars just need aging? Or...God forbid they are fake!

Dave
Could be both! These days the forbidden fruit is rolled on a women's fanny so they tend to smoke well young :laugh:
Are they fake?...the professors on this board may be able to help with some visuals.

Brian

I've ordered approx. a dozen boxes of cubans from the reputable sources that have come highly recommended from most cigar forums.

As I stated earlier, the sources are the same ones that everyone else has been using.

Maybe everyone else is smoking fakes too at most cigar forums. :whistling:

I don't know how to go about even starting to answer this one. I think it might be most expeditious to defer to MMM's standpoint.

Wilkey

This leads to the question...When buying from these sources, is it just expected to that you have to let your cigars age for a number of years?

Dave

Read: Cigar Aging

This may answer your question. This article was recommended by a member of this board in 2003. The Cigar Nexus site has been down for many years, but still has good information on Aging and Humidor Maintenance.

...enjoy.

C&G

Read: Cigar Aging

This may answer your question. This article was recommended by a member of this board in 2003. The Cigar Nexus site has been down for many years, but still has good information on Aging and Humidor Maintenance.

...enjoy.

C&G

Good Article, its exactly what I was looking for this morning thanks

06's have been coming back around recently, but not yet there*....depending on the cigar size.

If you're use to smoking them within the first few months of the box code, they will be different after that time.

Eventhough they say that 06 and on will have been 'aged' stock...I believe the cigars still get sick after a few months and need to marry.

I can't speak to the authenticity of your cigars, other than to say that MMM has some sage words, however assuming for now that they are authentic, a few things come to mind that can affect your smoking experience:

-The aforementioned aging question
-Whether or not you allowed the cigars to settle down for a few weeks after receipt. It took me a long to time learn my lesson about this - cigars smoked right off the truck tend to be muted and not very enjoyable
-Storage conditions at the distributor and vendor levels - If they haven't been stored properly, your smokes will lose stuff that they'll never get back
-Statistically it's very unlikely that this would happen 11 out of twelve times, but a few of them may be dud smokes (or dud boxes) - sometimes a cigar is mediocre, and the one next to it in the box is fantastic...

As an aside, I think Cuabas get short shrift in the online smoking community. I've enjoyed every one I've ever had. Maybe I've just been lucky.

All JMO...

Well put, Tim.

Perhaps another provocative explanation is that perhaps cigars just don't suit you. Were you already a smoker when you decided to try Havanas? How much experience smoking have you had overall? Do you know what to expect and what you like?

I don't think there's any great secret to enjoying good smokes no matter where they come from.

1. cigars made with good quality tobacco
2. vendors who store their stock properly
3. cigars packed well, shipped promptly
4. stable, appropriate storage conditions on your end
5. a little time for newly received cigars to relax

If all these conditions have been satisfied, then maybe cigars just aren't for you. I'm not being facetious, it's just that I've met plenty of people who got into this because they had preconceptions (perhaps from peer comments) about what they should like and have yet to explore sufficiently to discover what they actually do like.

Wilkey

I can't speak to the authenticity of your cigars, other than to say that MMM has some sage words, however assuming for now that they are authentic, a few things come to mind that can affect your smoking experience:

-Whether or not you allowed the cigars to settle down for a few weeks after receipt. It took me a long to time learn my lesson about this - cigars smoked right off the truck tend to be muted and not very enjoyable
-Storage conditions at the distributor and vendor levels - If they haven't been stored properly, your smokes will lose stuff that they'll never get back
-Statistically it's very unlikely that this would happen 11 out of twelve times, but a few of them may be dud smokes (or dud boxes) - sometimes a cigar is mediocre, and the one next to it in the box is fantastic...

As an aside, I think Cuabas get short shrift in the online smoking community. I've enjoyed every one I've ever had. Maybe I've just been lucky.

All JMO...

Well put Wilkey.

This meeting of the Mutual Adoration Society is now closed. :p

Seriously, though, Walletjes, Ginseng's thoughts are well worth considering.

Well put, Tim.

Perhaps another provocative explanation is that perhaps cigars just don't suit you. Were you already a smoker when you decided to try Havanas? How much experience smoking have you had overall? Do you know what to expect and what you like?

I don't think there's any great secret to enjoying good smokes no matter where they come from.

1. cigars made with good quality tobacco
2. vendors who store their stock properly
3. cigars packed well, shipped promptly
4. stable, appropriate storage conditions on your end
5. a little time for newly received cigars to relax

If all these conditions have been satisfied, then maybe cigars just aren't for you. I'm not being facetious, it's just that I've met plenty of people who got into this because they had preconceptions (perhaps from peer comments) about what they should like and have yet to explore sufficiently to discover what they actually do like.

Wilkey

All JMO...

the 06 cuaba divinos and generosos have been hit nor miss. we have boxes from early 06 and they can be aggressive or harsh. not really a crowd pleaser in our shop.
the salomons have been lauded as being complex and interesting.

fwiw

i used to be a cuaba fan, unfortunately its just not a very elegant cigar.

I guess this is my thread for taking exception to stuff.

The earlier, regular production Distinguidos that I've had in the last year have evolved into a subtle, refined smoke. And they're still not really aged yet. I wish I had more around.

Young Divinos can be pretty brash - I agree.

I guess this is my thread for taking exception to stuff.

The earlier, regular production Distinguidos that I've had in the last year have evolved into a subtle, refined smoke. And they're still not really aged yet. I wish I had more around.

Young Divinos can be pretty brash - I agree.

i'll have to keep my eyes open for some distinguidos. i have smoked a few salamons that i thought were complex and enjoyable, just not refined.

thanks for the suggestion.

cheers

I've ordered approx. a dozen boxes of cubans from the reputable sources that have come highly recommended from most cigar forums. The cigars range in quality and size from Cuaba Divinos to Romeo Churchills. All boxes are dated from this past year.

I usually just smoke one then toss the box in the humidor for proper aging. Anyway, out of the dozen or so cigars I tested, I'd say one was tasty and had that nice Cuban twang. Believe it or not that was the Cuaba. The rest were not worth even smoking!

I am thoroughly confused. This appears to be a case of one who appears to have garnered their source authentication from cigar forum kudos and then questions their cigars' maturity and even provenance based upon their taste right off the truck. My confusion lies in how one can be an authority on "that nice Cuban twang", given such circumstances.