• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Are these legit? Can you tell?

I could not find the date code on the provided list. My buddy has some more comming from the same source but I wanted to run this by the board to see if I can help him out some.

Sorry, no pics of the sticks themselves, but from the box, does anything stand out as not being legit?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Excuse the poor pic quality. From my cell phone.

cid__0102091044.jpg

cid__0102091043.jpg

cid__0102091045.jpg

Question number 1: Did the cigars come from a trusted source?

When Yes - You're Golden.

When No - Why didn't you order from a trusted source?

And to answer your question, I haven't a clue by just looking at the box. The counterfeiters are getting very good at making boxes that look legit.

*edit* How much did he pay? That's always a good way to tell if Cuban cigars are more than likely legit. Really REALLY low prices usually mean trouble.

Can MAR 07 have a serial number that starts with D? I thought 2007 typically started with an H or I. Perhaps a more knowledgable BOTL can answer.

Unfortunately these are most likely fakes.

First thing is the serial number on the warranty label does not coincide with a 07 box release. Second, the halogram should only be on boxes purchased in Cuba. You purchased these from a vendor so there should be no halogram unless someone purchased these in Cuba and carried these back and somehow the vendor got them. Third, the date code stamp on the box is not the normal font. All of these discrepencies add up to fakes IMO.

Bob

[quote name='Smok'em' post='788214' date='Jan 2 2009, 12:12 PM']Can MAR 07 have a serial number that starts with D? I thought 2007 typically started with an H or I. Perhaps a more knowledgable BOTL can answer.

Right on.

Bob[/quote]

[quote name='cigar smoke' post='788222' date='Jan 2 2009, 11:22 AM']Unfortunately these are most likely fakes.

First thing is the serial number on the warranty label does not coincide with a 07 box release. Second, the halogram should only be on boxes purchased in Cuba. You purchased these from a vendor so there should be no halogram unless someone purchased these in Cuba and carried these back and somehow the vendor got them. Third, the date code stamp on the box is not the normal font. All of these discrepencies add up to fakes IMO.

Bob

[quote name='Smok'em' post='788214' date='Jan 2 2009, 12:12 PM']Can MAR 07 have a serial number that starts with D? I thought 2007 typically started with an H or I. Perhaps a more knowledgable BOTL can answer.

Right on.

Bob[/quote]
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly Bob. I'll just add that if only one of these were present, it would not be conclusive. But all three makes it almost assured that these are fakes.

[quote name='cigar smoke' post='788222' date='Jan 2 2009, 11:22 AM']Unfortunately these are most likely fakes.

Bob

Right on.

Bob[/quote]
[/quote]

Well, according to the 'story' my buddy has told me, theses cigars were bought by a relative of his who regularly travels in fact to Cuba. He (my buddy) was gifted these cigars and has another box comming from the same source. (His relative)

I was skeptical of his story (I thought it was a case of too good to be true type of thing) but maybe he wasn't telling a tall tale after all. However the hologram would make sense if his story was legit but then the box wouldn't have the green export sticker correct?

Anyhow, thanks guys for all the feedback. If/when he gets his 2nd box, I'll take more pics of both box and sticks.

MKO was a late 2003 factory stamp wasn't it? It goes inline with the seal (DE XXXXXXXX) but shouldn't have an 07 date.

lol that's not to mention, on Cohiba SLB's, that the Habanos sticker faces the other way....towards the center of the box....and that the logo faces the other way.

Your logo is upside down...and the habanos sticker....while it may be in the right corner...is facing the wrong way.

There is also a lot of issues with the habanos sticker itself.

edit: grammar.

Again, thanks for all the feedback. I was skeptical from the get go but since I know almost nothing about CC's I knew bringing the questions here was the right thing to do.

You guys are awsome. :thumbs:

I wish all fakes had that many errors. The hologram fits the story, but I don't think they were slapping them on when the DE serial numbers were going by and those lids were in use. The 07 boxes look way different, the box code is a computer font, the box code doesn't exist anymore. The habanos sticker look screwed up.

Post up some inside pics! In the spirit of fake documentation.

FWIW, my understanding is that virtually all cuban cigars sold on the street *IN* Cuba are fake, you're supposed to go into the government stores. So, it makes sense that someone innocent could buy those in Cuba and bring them back.

Also, I'm seeing all sorts of holograms slip out of Cuba now and come on legit boxes from legit sources. They seem to be "spreading their net" a little wider to pick up supply.

Well, according to the 'story' my buddy has told me, theses cigars were bought by a relative of his who regularly travels in fact to Cuba. He (my buddy) was gifted these cigars and has another box comming from the same source. (His relative)

I was skeptical of his story (I thought it was a case of too good to be true type of thing) but maybe he wasn't telling a tall tale after all. However the hologram would make sense if his story was legit but then the box wouldn't have the green export sticker correct?

Anyhow, thanks guys for all the feedback. If/when he gets his 2nd box, I'll take more pics of both box and sticks.

Please see here:

http://www.vitolas.net/displayimage.php?pos=-1021