• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

All these source verification threads

Gonz

Ultra Runner
Did you know there are 11 threads in the first two pages asking for verification of a source?

Something just doesn't seem quite right about this. Not that I've been here for a super long time, but when I joined up it was my understanding that information on sources was something that was earned, given to you without asking and a privilege. Look at all the threads by these one week/one day wonders asking to verify a source, and from their gratitude it appears as if people are obliging them. This is not right.

If you've been around a while and are a contributing member then perhaps you should just pm someone you've traded with or bought from or passed with and ask them directly. Otherwise I feel by the number of threads we are giving the impression that anyone can just ask and they'll be given the golden egg.

And a final note, the main reason for the previous paragraph is that I noticed a few of the threads I'm referring to are by members that I feel probably have earned the right to ask and should consider doing it privately. You shouldn't get offended and think I'm implying that all of these thread authors have no business asking for info on sources.

If you've been around a while and are a contributing member then perhaps you should just pm someone you've traded with or bought from or passed with and ask them directly.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you don't meet the definition above.

Did you know there are 11 threads in the first two pages asking for verification of a source?

Something just doesn't seem quite right about this. Not that I've been here for a super long time, but when I joined up it was my understanding that information on sources was something that was earned, given to you without asking and a privilege. Look at all the threads by these one week/one day wonders asking to verify a source, and from their gratitude it appears as if people are obliging them. This is not right.

If you've been around a while and are a contributing member then perhaps you should just pm someone you've traded with or bought from or passed with and ask them directly. Otherwise I feel by the number of threads we are giving the impression that anyone can just ask and they'll be given the golden egg.

And a final note, the main reason for the previous paragraph is that I noticed a few of the threads I'm referring to are by members that I feel probably have earned the right to ask and should consider doing it privately. You shouldn't get offended and think I'm implying that all of these thread authors have no business asking for info on sources.
I wholeheartedly agree. I don't check the Cuban forum that often anymore, so I didn't know this was happening so frequently. Back when I joined, this wouldn't have flown. I was here over a year before I got my first source.

I'm not sure where I first saw it but when I was looking through all the Attention:Newbie:Rules threads I thought the impression created was that it was okay to talk about cuban cigars in threads (obviously) but that if you wanted information on verifying a source you could post the question without naming the source and people would PM you if they wanted to.

I don't remember where I saw it exactly, and of course I couldn't care less about people's "sources", but I remember seeing a lot of talk along the lines of "If we don't talk about sources, how will we correct Newb's who are trying to buy from XYZ Miami Cigar dealer". And I think the talk was clear that a Newb could ask for help but talk occured over PM's only.

Now, given that they aren't saying XYZ is my source, are they okay? I'd imagine they're reading the rules and coming to a similar conclusion.

You can't expect them to understand the culture automatically and half the forum is "post less, read more" and the other half of the forum is "only dirtbags lurk, participate or kick rocks." I lurked for awhile and then was told that you don't even post in the Cuban threads, never mind sources, until you're more "Established." tons of mixed messages, again they're apparently reading the rules or they'd name names, they're just getting a different message than you'd expect.

Perhaps someone should ask Rod to append on to his Newbie rules/guidelines that it's considered very impolite to enquire about sources. I don't see him locking their threads down.

NEVER discuss sources on CigarPass. Sources are defined as company's who sell Cuban cigars. Cuban cigars are illegal in the United States. Please keep this type of communication private.

I would take this as to not even post a "Please verify" thread. Any source communication, that is allowed in a public forum, could put Rod and Cigar Pass in jeopardy. I don't see any ambiguity in the statement above.

I would say that verification is fine as long as the newb gives the retailers name, and asks if it is legit. Asking for a place to get Cubans is not okay.

Also, not to make another buy-out comment, but I imagine that some of these people are coming from the "bought-out" forums, and may be adapting to having a lower post count, and may think that they have a faster track to "Established" status.

My two shillings.

NEVER discuss sources on CigarPass. Sources are defined as company's who sell Cuban cigars. Cuban cigars are illegal in the United States. Please keep this type of communication private.

I would take this as to not even post a "Please verify" thread. Any source communication, that is allowed in a public forum, could put Rod and Cigar Pass in jeopardy. I don't see any ambiguity in the statement above.

That's what I took from it, seemed pretty straight forward to me. I would hate to see the website brought down because some govt. hack decided that the website was condoning such "illegal" activity.

I would say that verification is fine as long as the newb gives the retailers name, and asks if it is legit. Asking for a place to get Cubans is not okay.

Also, not to make another buy-out comment, but I imagine that some of these people are coming from the "bought-out" forums, and may be adapting to having a lower post count, and may think that they have a faster track to "Established" status.

My two shillings.

Agreed. I have no issues verifying a source from someone who has been here for a while. However I guess I am in a little different situation wheras I am not bound by the same laws as the US.

It has gotten out of hand, even though I posted one myself. I didn't feel comfortable PMing anyone, so I just threw it out there. I will keep it to a PM if the situation ever comes up again, though.

Any source communication, that is allowed in a public forum, could put Rod and Cigar Pass in jeopardy. I don't see any ambiguity in the statement above.

There are cuban cigar reviews, trades, sales and passes a plenty - asking for a private verification of a source isn't suddenly placing the community in jeopardy, imo. I've always considered the secrecy with regards to sources more as protection for the source, not the buyer. Stay under the radar, you know?

The people that should be ashamed are the ones validating sources for unknown people.