• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aged Habana's

emodx

Banned
For those of you that smoke aged Cubans on a fairly regular basis...I would love to hear what you liked, what you didn't like, maybe a review or 2, and how you came about them.

Emo

Sorry, To actually post a seemingly experienced opinion here would qualify me for Misc's Tall Tales Pass. :D

Robb

The blends and the quality of the tobacco were better before '94, IMHO. Also smoking a piece of cigar history can be very rewarding, as quite a few models are now discontinued. When they are on, they are superb!

As to how one comes about them... :lookup: :D

Just got some aged SPNP...I'll let ya know what I think. They're '99s, which I heard was not a good year...

Devin Cole said:
As to how one comes about them... :lookup: :D
Well I guess I was getting on about wether you got them already aged, bought them young and aged them, or both... We all know MO has an unparalled selection of aged cigars. Habana-Net has a smaller line of aged cigars that goes back maybe 5 years. But besides those 2 places, the only other place I saw that even offered anything over 2 years old was a Canadian place.

Emo

Mr. Extra said:
Just got some aged SPNP...I'll let ya know what I think. They're '99s, which I heard was not a good year...
I've got some of the '99 SPNP and they are very good. Also had a cabinet of '99 SP Belis which were fantastic. :thumbs:

Well...since I got my box of SPNP's...I've smoked 5 of them and they are AWESOME...

Since yous guys aren't posting, I think I'll start us off. Gonna torch a Diplomaticos #2 from 98. Thanks for putting it in my pass Floyd! I'll post a review soon.
Emo

If it's anything but a postive review, I'll send out another! ;) That cigar is one of my favorites. The aroma, burn, taste appearnace etc. are all top notch. IMHO! :D

I'll await yer review! :sign:

The 98 Diplomatico #2 was terrible!!! Worst Cuban I have ever smoked. Better send me a couple more just to make sure I didn't get a bad one
icon9.gif

Emo

Here is the real deal:
Beautiful brown/red wrapper with nice lines. Clip went nicely and the pre-light draw was cedar and floral w/ a light pepper on the tongue. The cigar started off with a tight draw, but quickly opened up. The first third was characterized by a light floral and cedar flavor. The smoke was plentiful and had a little pepper bite on the back of the pallate.
The second 3rd came with a blast of earthy nutty flavor. At this point the cigar developed from a light body light strength to a full medium cigar. The earthy part seemd to weaken a bit as a cocoa flavor took its place. The last third was full strength as the nicotien kicked in. So much so that I got a pretty good buzz which I had to sit off with the rest of my Kona cafe. Next time I won't smoke it in the morning. ;) I can see how people would compare this to a Monte #2. I am sure at a younger age, this would have been full bodied from start to finish. Check them out if you get a chance to!
Emo

That sounds right on Emo. I had a couple of the 98's last year. The last 1/3 is a killer. :0

Hate to sound stupid but I can't help it. It just comes natural.
What is an "SPNP" ?
I gotta try some of these ISOMS.
Just want to know which one . :D :D :D

jgriddle said:
Hate to sound stupid but I can't help it. It just comes natural.
What is an "SPNP" ?
I gotta try some of these ISOMS.
Just want to know which one . :D :D :D
Jerry it's the Sancho Panza Non-Plus(petit corona size).

Shadow said:
I've got some of the '99 SPNP and they are very good. Also had a cabinet of '99 SP Belis which were fantastic. :thumbs:
The 2000's are smoking quite well now too. Unfortuneately I only have one or two left. I've always like this little cigar. You don't hear much about it, but I think it's pretty nice.

So will aging all full bodied cigars make them a bit milder? Even the cheapies? I prefer a more mild to medium cigar and have a few full bodies that I bought and can really kick my a$$. I'd rather not throw them out. So if leaving them in the humi would help I'll try.

BTW they are consegueros.

I wouldn't say it makes them milder but it does make them more mellow. It smoothes out the rough edges so to speak. It also seems to add more complexity or at least allows all the various flavors to "come out".