• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Are Opus X's REALLY that good?

Jaster

Resident Who-Dat
I'll probably get flamed for this, but so be it. I've been smoking cigars in earnest since February of this year. So I'm still green, but I feel comfortable saying I've begun to develop my palate, and getting the hang of tasting the nuances, figuring out what I like and what I don't like. Honestly, the most expensive cigars I've tried are probably AF Hemingways, a few Montecristos, something at that level. I just don't have a ton of money to spend on it.

So yeah, I've searched on here and read numerous glowing reviews of the Opus X, but I can't justify in my mind shelling out the cash for one cigar. So honestly, is it worth splurging and blowing my cigar budget just to try it out?

I honestly can't tell you. I do have a couple of them in my humi (Thanks again John!) waiting for me to torch them. I imagine it's like everything else. Some people will love them while others will not like them at all! Taste is subjective and the only way to find out for yourself is to try one!

violent028.gif

IMHO Opus X are a great cigar, whether you are willing to spend that kind of cash is entirely up to you.

Also opinions are like "you-know-whats", everybody has one. What I may find great, others don't so smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but so be it. I've been smoking cigars in earnest since February of this year. So I'm still green, but I feel comfortable saying I've begun to develop my palate, and getting the hang of tasting the nuances, figuring out what I like and what I don't like. Honestly, the most expensive cigars I've tried are probably AF Hemingways, a few Montecristos, something at that level. I just don't have a ton of money to spend on it.

So yeah, I've searched on here and read numerous glowing reviews of the Opus X, but I can't justify in my mind shelling out the cash for one cigar. So honestly, is it worth splurging and blowing my cigar budget just to try it out?

First of all, your average Opus shouldn't cost much more than your average Montecristo. The fact that there are scumbags that mark up the price by a few hundred percentage points, doesn't mean that this is the price of the cigar. While some people love the Opus X, I know of many that can't smoke one. My suggestion is to pick one up from an honest retailer and try it for yourself. A good cigar is one that YOU like....not anyone else.

I realize taste is subjective, but they appear to be so universally praised, I have to ask.

Is it worth trying, yes. As long as you can afford it. Save up and when you run into one (around msrp at least) give it a try. This is the fun part of smoking IMO. The early days when you want to try every cigar you can get your hands on and see what you like. And this shouldn't apply to just OpusX but any HTF cigar.

You can get the smaller Opus for around the same price as the larger Hemingways, so unless every store around you is gouging then you should be able to get one without stretching your wallet.

Simple answer from me is, Yes they are. I am willing to spend the money for them when I can find them locally.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but so be it.

Ask a question shouldn't get you flamed unless its blatantly stupid. Stating that you'll probably get flamed frequently guarantees it.

I've been smoking cigars in earnest since February of this year. So I'm still green, but I feel comfortable saying I've begun to develop my palate, and getting the hang of tasting the nuances, figuring out what I like and what I don't like. Honestly, the most expensive cigars I've tried are probably AF Hemingways, a few Montecristos, something at that level. I just don't have a ton of money to spend on it.

I like Opus, but am not fanatical. My palate can't pick up the notes that make them unique. I acquire them not to smoke, but to give away AND to enter the annual Super Bowl Pool.

Is it the allure of the Opus or that some say they are a good smoke?

I don't like the so called cheaper vitola's like Opus Fuente Fuente, xxx, etc. However, I do like the more expensive vitola's such as, d'Chateau, Royal 8, Forbidden x, especially with age.

Your palate is young so beware the xxx and others, they kick ass, especially on an empty stomach.

The point is, YOU need to smoke these cigars at some point to form your own opinion.

Brian

PM me your address. I'll mail you a Opus X #5 this weekend when I get home from school. It is a small guy but I really enjoy them.

PM me your address. I'll mail you a Opus X #5 this weekend when I get home from school. It is a small guy but I really enjoy them.
Very nice.

Brian

Oh and don't be alarmed when you notice they smell like poop. It's not what you think. ;)

edit: btw, nice gesture xerais.

To echo what everyone else has said, yes they are a fine cigar. One of my favorites, part of the allure is from the fact that they are hard to find.

With only approx. 750,000 produced each year the seeming rarity is where they derive most of their value. If Opus was at every B&M with no mark-up would people still rave over them? Honestly, probably not, yes they would still be an excellent cigar, but since there was very little involved in the aquiring it the mystique is some what diminished.

By all means try one or more, try different sizes. You might find you like one and not the other. Is a marked up Opus X Perfexcion #5 really 5 times better than DPG? Can an Opus Marked up XxX be 10 times better than a Sancho Panza DM to you?

It all really depends what you want and are willing to spend.

Are you serious? Wow, this forum -- and its members! -- are just awesome. Many heartfelt thanks!!! :thumbs:

They don't do it for me so like freenerd, I don't go out of my way to look for them. Now Hemi Maduros and a couple of Anejo sizes are another story..

Are you serious? Wow, this forum -- and its members! -- are just awesome. Many heartfelt thanks!!! :thumbs:

You'll find that the guys and gals on CP are always serious about passing on their cigars. It's not just about sharing knowledge here it's about sharing the experience of cigars!

Oh yeah, Opus x are great! Not the end all be all but real solid smokes. Enjoy!

I find it really depend on the time and environment when it comes to Opus. For example, 4:57 EST is a horrible time for Opus while 4:57 CST is ideal. 7:30-7:56 AM is never optimal regardless of time zone. Also, as I said, setting really matters. Some people can enjoy a smoke wherever but the process by which Opus are rolled (far too complicated to go into here) really forces you into smoking them only in certain situations to maximize enjoyment. For example smoking one on a NYC Subway car would be good, as long as you are on the upper east side and nowhere else. On the other hand smoking one on your porch (between 7:30 and 7:56 AM) is likely to result in immediate paralysis. Basically when you smoke Opus you are putting your life on the line.